What is a Master?
- The original sound recording of a song.
What are Master Rights?
- Rights to own and control the original recording of a song
Who owns the Master Rights?
- Usually whoever finances the recording. Often, this is a record label but can be the independent artist(s). Record label contracts will specify who owns any Masters that both exist prior to the contract and that are created during the contract term. The contract will also specify how long the label will own and/or control the Masters.
What is a Master License?
- A Master License gives the licensee the right to use a recorded piece of music in a media project such a film, TV show, commercial or another visual creation or audio project.
Why is a Master License important to you?
- In order to use a song in a visual project, you must have a Sync License and Master License.
- There are typically multiple owners of a piece of music, so everyone has to approve the use. The Master License will describe the scope of how the music will be used, including the right to play or perform music publicly.
How can Songtradr help?
- Allows you to connect with all owners of both the Composition and the Master Rights.
- Transparency: the scope of how the music will be used is made apparent in the terms of our Master Licenses.
- All owners receive alerts for transaction and can approve use via our platform.
- Appropriate payments distributed among the owners by Songtradr, so the Licensee only has to worry about making one payment.
- By using the Songtradr platform to secure the Master License, you can avoid a long negotiation process.