What is a record label?
- Record labels are the companies that provide support to artists from writing and recording music to distributing it to the masses.
Majors vs. Indies
- Major labels are huge corporations that own several subsidiary labels specialized in publishing, recording, and promoting specific music genres.
- “The Big Three”
- Large distribution network
- Less creative freedom
- Control some of the rights to your music
- Try to take a cut from every revenue stream
- Indie labels operate without corporate backing or funding from major record labels.
- First to know about upcoming trends
- Give chances to lesser known artists
- More artist-friendly deals
- Smaller distribution network
- Less money