What is a Composition?
- The notes, lyrics, structure, instrumentation,etc. as they do or would appear on sheet music or other written documentation.
What are Publishing Rights?
- Publishing rights refer broadly to the right to exploit certain aspects of a composition, including the right to license the composition.
Who owns the Publishing Rights?
- Generally the songwriter(s) if they are self-published, otherwise, their music publisher(s) if they are signed to a publisher.
What is a Synchronization (Sync) License?
- Gives the license holder the right to reproduce a Composition in synchronization with images in an audiovisual project (i.e. film, TV show, commercial, etc.)
Why are Publishing Rights for a Composition important to you?
- There can be multiple owners of a piece of music, including Copyright and Master owners. If so, each owner has to approve the use of their owned component in order for any license to be valid.
More on Copyright Ownership >
More on Master Ownership >
How can Songtradr help?
- The Songtradr platform facilitates the approval process for all writers and publishers associated with each composition to be licensed, so buyers don’t have to research and reach out to each one individually
- All owners receive alerts for transactions and have control over usage approvals including pricing and types of use
- Proper payments are distributed among the rights owners directly through the platform, so buyers make only one payment to Songtradr
- Transparency with all transactions